History of South Miami
Although Native Americans had doubtlessly roamed the area for centuries, the recorded history of South Miami began at the turn of the century when the rich farmlands of South Dade lured pioneers down through Little Hunting Ground (later known as Coconut Grove) to Big Hunting Ground (now known as Cutler).
In 1897, W.A. Larkins, an early pioneer and founder of South Miami, brought his family into the lush wilderness at the southernmost end of the wagon trail that is now the Ingraham Highway. He started a small dairy and a year later established a post office near what is now Cocoplum Circle.
Upon the completion of the Miami to Homestead extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad in 1906, Larkins bought the property west of what is now Red Road and south of Sunset Drive and established the first grocery and general supply store located in the area. Additionally, the US Government moved the post office to that location, and the surrounding community was named Larkins in honor of its Postmaster.
By 1917, the population of Larkins had swelled to 350. As with much of Florida, the real estate boom of the Roaring 1920s had a large impact on Larkins. Land values reached an all-time high when a 10-acre tract sold for $100,000. The epicenter of the boom was near the original Riviera Theater, which is more commonly referred to today as the Shops at Sunset Place.
Beginning in the mid-1920s, many citizens of Larkins expressed a desire to incorporate their burgeoning community. In March of 1926, a group of qualified voters met and voted affirmatively to annex an area of approximately 6 square miles. This section of land was bounded on the east by Red Road, on the south by S.W. 104th St. and Kendall Drive, on the west by Ludlam and the Palmetto, and on the north by Bird Road.
South Miami Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in South Miami
- 7854 Southwest 67th Ave South Miami, FL 33143
- 5740 Southwest 67th Ave South Miami, FL 33143
- 6750 Southwest 65th St South Miami, FL 33143
- 6743 Magnolia Ct South Miami, FL 33143
- 5791 Southwest 58 Ct South Miami, FL 33143
- 6101 Southwest 42nd St South Miami, FL 33155
- 5840 Southwest 87 St South Miami, FL 33143
- 6141 Southwest 44th St South Miami, FL 33155
- 5900 Southwest 82nd St South Miami, FL 33143
- 6133 Southwest 63rd Ter South Miami, FL 33143
- 6550 Southwest 67th Ave South Miami, FL 33143
- 6053 Southwest 63rd St South Miami, FL 33143
- 7240 Southwest 63rd Ct South Miami, FL 33143
- 5761 Southwest 82nd St South Miami, FL 33143
- 4301 Southwest 62nd Ave South Miami, FL 33155
- 7540 Southwest 64th Ct South Miami, FL 33143
Walk Score for South Miami
South Miami School Data
South Miami School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
South Miami Schools
- Ludlam Elementary School
- PK-5, public
- The French American School Of Miami
- PK-5, private
- Young Womens Academy for Academic and Civic Development at J.R.E. Lee Opportunity School
- 5-12, public
- Gulliver Schools S Miami Campus
- K-4, private
- Somerset Academy Charter Middle School South Miami Campus
- 6-8, charter
- Somerset Academy Elementary School South Miami Campus
- K-5, charter
- The Mandelstam School
- PK-5, private